4 medium sized potatoes (skin left on) – Desiree or Maris Piper work very well.
2 plump garlic cloves, 1 inch piece of ginger, 1 mild deseeded green chilli, coriander stems, chopped, minced or pureed
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
½ tsp Turmeric
½ tsp Mustard Seeds
10 fresh curry leaves (optional)
1 small deseeded red chilli (or ½ tsp chilli powder)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
Handful of Coriander chopped
Tbsp ghee or sunflower oil
- Wash and scrub the potatoes, then chop into pieces roughly an inch in size, rinse and dry.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a wok on a medium heat, throw in the mustard seeds until they start to pop, then the asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the potatoes, ginger, garlic, chilli puree and all the spices and the salt and give it all a good stir. Reduce to the lowest heat possible, add a tbsp. of water and cover with a tight fitting lid or tin foil.
- Keep an eye and stir the potatoes from time to time to prevent them sticking. Adding a tbsp of water if needed.
- Potatoes should be cooked through in about 20-30 minutes. Remove the lid and add the chopped coriander and stir through.
- Serve and you can finish/ dress with a further sprinkling of herbs.