4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks, any excess fat removed
3-4 cloves garlic – crushed
Juice ½ lemon
125 ml chicken stock
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Red chilli flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp yoghurt
2 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
Season the chicken, heat the oil in a large frying pan using a medium heat, cook the skin-side down for 4-6 minutes until browned. Pour over 500ml/17fl oz water, add the bay leaves and bring the water to a gentle simmer.
- Pour off an excess fat from the pan, reduce the heat and cook the onion until it softens.
- Now add the garlic, chilli flakes, zahtar and cumin and stir. Return the chicken to the pan with the skin side up, and the barbary seeds. Add the stock and the lemon juice. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and no pink meat remains
- Uncover, increase the heat to reduce the sauce a little, reduce the heat, add the yoghurt and stir. Simmer until the sauce has a nice consistency
- Add the pomegranate seeds and herbs.
- Goes well with steamed rice and a freshly dressed green salad.